I love Brussels sprouts. A local pizza place makes a Brussels sprouts pizza so playing off that I decided to try making a version of it at home. This flatbread is delicious, quick, easy and inexpensive. That’s a win in my book. I made this 15 minute dough recipe, Valentino’s Pizza Crust but you could easily buy dough. A quarter of the recipe made enough dough for a 12×8 pizza. You could also make individual flatbreads using naan or pitas.
Brussels Sprouts, Purple Potato & Prosciutto Flatbread
8 Brussels sprouts, stems trimmed and outer leaves removed
4 purple fingerling potatoes or 1 small potato
1/4 medium onion, sliced into half-moons
3 thin slices of prosciutto (about $2.50 at the Whole Foods deli counter), you could also use ham
1/2 strip of bacon if it’s a large deli counter strip, otherwise 1 whole strip
1/2 c. jarred Alfredo sauce, more/less according to preference
4 – 5 oz. mozzarella, more/less according to preference (I used rounds but shredded is fine too)
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1. If making the Valentino’s Pizza Dough recipe, make it now and set it aside to rest per the recipe.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
4. With a mandolin or knife slice the potatoes lengthwise into thin strips about 1/2 inch thick.
5. Slice the prosciutto into thin strips about 1/4 inch thick.
6. Chop the bacon into small pieces and place into a pan on the stove top large enough to hold all your raw ingredients.
7. Over medium heat brown the bacon and render its fat. Once the bacon has browned but not crisped remove it from the pan. Add olive oil to the pan. The amount will depend on how much fat rendered from the bacon but about 1-1/2 to 2 Tbs should be sufficient.
8. Add the Brussels sprouts, potatoes and onions to the pan. Sprinkle the dried herbs over the vegetables and salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes until sprouts are crisp-tender.
9. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
10. Spread your dough with 1/2 – 3/4 c. Alfredo sauce depending on preference. If using pita or naan, use a few tablespoons for each individual flatbread.
11. Dump, unceremoniously, all the toppings onto the dough. Distribute evenly. Drop the bacon pieces and prosciutto pieces on top. If using rounds of mozzarella tear them and add to the pizza or sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
12. Drizzle the flatbread with about 2 tsp. olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.